Briana has a first look at the new Tom Cruise action movie Jack Reacher, rumours about a smaller version of the iPad, and more in the Rundown.
- The Amazing Spider-Man earned just over $30 million on its opening day on Tuesday. This made it beat out Transformers as the biggest Tuesday opening ever. This does however fall short of the opening day earnings of the previous three Spider-Man films ($39, $40, $59 million), though those all opened on less unique days of the week. Either way, the film is a certified success, and proves that people were more than willing to come out for a reboot so soon after the original films. A sequel to the Amazing Spider-Man is already set for 2014.
- Adam Sandler, and his friends are making another movie together, although this one is animated, for kids, and about vampires. Hotel Transylvania features the voice talents of Sandler, as well as Kevin James, Steve Buscemi, David Spade, and more, as monsters in the titular Hotel. Their pleasant secret world is disrupted when the scariest monster of all (a human, played by Andy Samberg) comes to stay. Hotel Transylvania releases this fall.
- Jena Malone as joined the cast of Catching Fire, the sequel to The Hunger Games. She won a mini Hunger Games of her own, beating out several other actresses for the role of Johanna Mason, a deadly new tribute who will join forces with Katniss Everdeen. Catching Fire begins shooting this fall, and will release November 22, 2013. If you are at Comic-Con next week, you can catch some of the Hunger Games cast signing exclusive cover art for the upcoming blu-ray.
- In today’s random news, Tom Hanks is teaming up with Yahoo to bring out an action-packed post-apocalyptic animated web series. It’s called Electric City, and Hanks will lend his voice work and serve as executive producer for the series. Electric City premieres online on July 17.
- Everyone’s favorite giant movie monster Godzilla may be making a surprise appearance at Comic-Con. The upcoming American remake (Hollywood’s doing remakes now, did you know?) may be getting a surprise panel at the event. The film will be directed by the director of indie hit Monsters, and is being shot in 3D (Hollywood likes 3D movies now, did you know?). We will let you know if the big green lizard makes an appearance at Comic-Con, which runs July 12-15.
- Tom Cruise is back playing another badass in the trailer for Jack Reacher. The action star, who just celebrated his 50th birthday, plays a cop who beats people up. The Jack Reacher character has appeared in more than a dozen crime novels from author Lee Child. The first Jack Reacher film releases this December.
- Dave Gibbons, the co-creator of Watchmen, is working on a video game. Gibbons is collaborating with Broken Sword developer Revolution Software on an adventure game. Unfortunately that’s literally all the information we have at this point, but we will keep you in the loop.
- Rumors are iSwirling of Apple releasing a smaller version of the iPad. The device would be 7” across diagonally, compared to the regular iPad’s 9.7”. If reports are true, expect an announcement this fall. While a moniker for the smaller iPad has not yet been revealed, we’d like to throw our suggestion into the hat with “iPhone”.